Meet Sue, the Camp Director! Request a Home Visit or Ask a Question.
At Camp Emerson, you choose your activities. We will help you see all of the choices when you get to camp. Here’s how it all works!
Step 1 – Activity Preferences – Online Form
- In CampMinder, click on the Activity button.
- There you will select up to 10 activities that you are most interested in this summer – these are NOT your choices yet. Your preferences help us to plan for the summer and get our schedule ready.
- To learn more about the choices you have, go to the Activity Pages in this website.
- Talk with your parents about ideas they have about things to take.
- Keep an open mind – your friends and counselors may influence this list when you get to camp.
Step 2 – At Camp
The first day of camp:
- You’ll meet your bunkmates
- See old friends and make new ones
- Meet your counselors
- Tour camp
- See all of this summer’s activities at the Activity Fair
This is a good day to ask your counselor about activities you might want to take and to talk to your bunkmates about them.
Step 3 – Sign-Ups
- Each bunk/group will have a set time to sign up for activities on the 2nd day of camp.
- You’ll be given a list of activities for each period of the day. There are 6 periods in the day.
- Each group is assigned a period of swim.
- In each of the other 5 boxes you’ll see 6-10 choices of activities to pick from.
- The activities are for your age group. For example, Lower Camp Rocketry (ages 8-10) is a different time from Upper Camp (13-15) Rocketry.
- Boys and girls are separate in all sports and swim and mix in something like the play.
- The Area Heads for each of the areas at camp will be there to explain the activities and answer your questions at the sign-ups.
Your Counselors, Area Heads and Sue will help you with your choices. You pick these 5 activities for 2 weeks. The 2nd 2 weeks you can do the same things or select a completely different schedule.
Will I be in activities with my bunkmates?
YES! You will be in a bunk with other kids who like to do what you like to do. So often, you will pick things together. That’s the fun of camp, doing activities with your friends.
Will I be forced to any activities?
NO – We don’t believe in forcing kids. (Okay, you have to go to swim but it’s a HEATED pool.)
I’m really good at Tennis. Will I be with the beginners?
No matter what the activity, you will be taught at your skill level. The instructors will challenge you at your level and help you to accomplish your goals.
Does anyone get closed out?
We work very hard so this is never the case. This is why we ask for the activity forms in the spring so we can plan for staff, number of classes and materials.
There are so many activities! How do I fit them in?
We know! That’s the hard part. We’ll help you make the choices and we’ll also try to fit in some of your other favorites into evening activities and other times so that you can try as much as possible.
What if I want to change?
You’re never stuck. You can change an activity if you don’t like it. We want you to be happy.
Any other suggestions?
We recommend that you pick a mix of outside AND inside activities to fill your day. Also, try at least 1 thing you’ve never done before. You might find something new and fun to do.