Food Allergy Specialists
Food Allergy Specialists
Children with food allergies and special dietary requirements can eat safely and deliciously at Camp Emerson.
We are the “The Food Allergy Specialist”.
- We support ALL food allergies and special diets.
- Camp Emerson is completely PEANUT, TREENUT, SHELLFISH & SESAME FREE. We are a Nut Free Camp.
We have campers with dairy, peanut, treenut, wheat, soy, egg, shellfish and fish allergies.
- Celiac campers have thrived here. Gluten free foods are always available.
- Food Allergy Kitchen area with separate equipment.
- Professional chefs trained in cross-contamination.
- Vegetarians and Vegans will also feel satisfied with the options available.
- We have a team ofRegistered Dietitians on staff to prepare each child's menu.We understand that trusting your child with food allergies to the care of someone else can cause a fair amount of anxiety. Our goal is to make going to sleepaway camp possible AND worry free for you and your child. We've seen it happen every summer. The key to a successful experience is our planning and attention to detail. That's our philosophy for everything we do here at Camp Emerson.
Sue Lein, Owner and Camp Emerson Director, understands because she is allergic to eggs. Sue will want to speak with you personally about your child's allergies and dietary needs. Together you'll make an individual plan. You'll meet our team of Registered Dietitians, Chefs and Health Staff. They specialize in supporting children with food allergies.
Here are some of the steps take to prepare for a successful camp experience:
- First you’ll have a conversation with Sue, Camp Emerson Director, to discuss your child's food allergies, food likes and dislikes, personality and interests.
- You'll provide us with medical records and your Food Allergy Action Plan.
- We will send you the complete camp menu along with lists of alternatives and substitutes. You’ll be contacted by one of our dietitians you prior to camp to review the menu and make adjustments based on your child's specific needs.
- Our Nurse Practitioners will review your medical information and, as needed, contact you regarding medication (if required) and to review your Food Allergy Action Plan.
- We welcome each family to visit camp, see the Kitchen and Dining Hall and meet all the key staff prior to the start of camp. This really helps to build everyone's confidence prior to the summer.
- Our menu is carefully developed to match the foods your child can and can’t eat. Sometimes we may have you send your own food items to supplement our menu and to make sure that your child’s favorite treats and backups are in our kitchen. Campers have access to the kitchen and chefs at any time.
- Your child's cabin counselors will be briefed on his/her food allergies and action plan.
- 100% of Camp Emerson staff are trained to administer epinephrine by Health Staff.
- The Dietitians will be in contact during the summer to let you know how the plans are working and to get your feedback. They will be seeing your child daily for their questions and input as well.
- Your child’s meals are individually handed to him/her and double checked at the time of delivery.
- Everyone eats safely and deliciously and can really focus on having fun at camp!
Check out our Menu Page for details about our food choices.
Download - Your Child With Food Allergies Can Go To Camp, by Sue Lein, Camp Director, Camp Emerson
Download - Our Food Allergy Specialist Brochure for more details.
WE'RE IN THE PRESS:
Kyle Dine - An Extraordinary "Allergy Aware" Summer Camp
The Boston Globe - Allergies Should Not Ground You
PRWeb - Camp Emerson Announces Expansion of Food Allergy Program
ABC News Medical Report - 6 Things You Need to Know About Food Allergies
Kyle Dine - Camp Emerson should be considered the gold standard for camps accommodating allergic campers
Today's Dietitian - Summer Camp Dining
Westchester Parent Magazine Article - Move Over Bug Juice!
Gluten-Free Living Magazine - A Taste of Independence