Meet Sue, the Camp Director! Request a Home Visit or Ask a Question.
You’re thinking about moving up to overnight summer camp. The activities sound awesome but you’re a little nervous about missing your parents and how it’s all going to work being on your own. We at Camp Emerson understand just how you feel. We’ve helped 1000’s of kids feel safe and comfortable so they can do everything they dreamed of doing at sleepaway camp. We will be there for you too!
As a 1st Timer we will help you BEFORE and DURING camp…
• Getting to know you
• Getting ready – tips and info
• Keeping an eye on you and always being there when you need us
One of the best ways to make you more comfortable with overnight camp is to meet us. Sue, the Camp Director will come to your home, meet you and your parents and tell you all about Camp Emerson. Prepare a list of questions if you want. Sue will explain what your day would be like, talk about any concerns you have and show you lots of photos.
There are many ways to “visit” Camp Emerson so you can picture yourself here before it even starts.
• We give tours all summer long and in May & June for first time campers
• Take a look at our videos and photos
• Talk to some campers your age who have been to Camp Emerson. They are happy to share their stories and make you feel welcome.
Getting To Know You
We want to learn all about you! Tell us your favorite activities, what you like to eat, how you sleep, about your friends - everything. We will ask your parents to help us too. We want you to trust us and share what we need to know about you. This is how we can do our best job picking your bunkmates and setting you up for tons of fun.
We make getting ready for camp easy. You’ll get details on: how you pick activities, preparing to say good-bye the first day, what to buy for camp, dealing with homesickness, how mail, phone calls & packages work and lots more. You can ask us questions any time by email or phone.
Making Friends Before You Get To Camp
One of the best ways to feel comfortable about summer camp is to meet some of the kids in your group before you start. We’ll connect you with campers who’ve been to Camp Emerson before. They know the in’s and out’s and, once you talk, you will too. You might also like to meet another new camper and know “I’m not the only one”. Sue’s great at matching kids and you’ll feel like you have friends before the summer starts.
By the time the 1st day of summer camp rolls around, we know you’ll feel ready (still a little nervous – that’s normal) because you’re prepared and you feel like you know us already.
Phone Calls, Email and Mail
• At camp, your parents will call you every 5 days. You’ll get the schedule before camp so you’ll know when they will be calling.
• Your parents, family and friends can send you e-mails and letters throughout the summer too.
• In the 6 and 4 week sessions there’s a visiting day after 2 weeks. It’s a special day when you can show off everything you’re doing and introduce your counselors and friends.
• For 2 week campers the last day is also a visiting day for you to show your parents around.
Web Photos and Parent Calls
We also stay in contact with your parents during the summer.
• Every day there are 100’s of web photos so your parents can see the fun you’re having
• On the 2nd day of summer camp, we call all first time parents and let them know how you’re doing.
• Your parents can call the Directors at any time and touch base with us too.
Keeping An Eye On You
Our staff is simply the best. They are kind, fun people, talented teachers and 100% dedicated to YOU. Did you know we have 100 staff members for 200 campers – that’s a lot of adults all focused on making you happy.
Questions or Concerns?
You can talk to us about anything – just like you would your parents. Dropped your toothbrush? We will get you a new one. Hungry? Let’s get you something to eat. Want to stay up until midnight and eat candy? Sorry… we do have some rules.
The Directors at Camp Emerson are known for fixing problems. We are around all the time. You are not bothering us if you want to talk or need a hug. This is an important part of our job.
We would love to meet you and tell you more about Camp Emerson. Sounds good? Just ask your parents to contact us so we can set up a home visit.