Meet Sue, the Camp Director! Request a Home Visit or Ask a Question.
Food Allergy Specialist
Children will food allergies and special dietary requirements can eat safely and deliciously at Camp Emerson
We are the “The Food Allergy Specialist”.
- We support ALL food allergies and special diets.
- Camp Emerson is completely NUT FREE.
- We have campers with dairy, nut, wheat, soy, egg and fish allergies.
- Celiac campers have thrived here. Gluten free foods are always available.
- Gluten Free Kitchen area.
- Professional chefs trained in cross-contamination.
- Vegetarians and Vegans will also feel satisfied with the options available.
- We have a Registered Dietician on staff to prepare each child's menu.
We understand that trusting your child with food allergies to the care of someone else can cause a fair amount of anxiety. Our goal is to make going to sleepaway camp possible AND worry free for you and your child. We've seen it happen every summer. The key to a successful experience is our attention to detail. That's our philosophy for everything we do here at Camp Emerson.
Sue Lein, Director and Owner, understands because she is allergic to eggs. Sue will want to speak with you personally about your child's allergies and dietary needs. Together you'll make an individual plan. You'll meet our Registered Dietician, Chefs and Health Staff. They specialize in food allergies. Here are some of the steps we will take to prepare for camp:
1. Conversation with Sue, Camp Director, to discuss your child's food allergies, food likes and dislikes, personality and interests.
2. You'll provide us with complete medical records and your Allergy Action Plan.
3. Aimee, our Registered Dietician, will send you the complete camp menu along with lists of alternatives and substitutes. Aimee will contact you to review the menu and make adjustments based on your child's needs.
4. As needed, Julie, Nurse Practitioner and Head Nurse, will review your medical information and contact you regarding medication (if required) and to review the Allergy Action Plan.
5. We welcome each family to visit camp, see the Kitchen and Dining Hall and meet all the key staff prior to the start of camp. This really helps to build everyone's confidence prior to the summer.
6. You can send your own food items, if you wish, and make sure that your favorite treats and backups are in our kitchen. Campers have access to the kitchen and chefs at any time.
7. Your child's cabin counselors will be briefed on the food allergies and action plan.
8. All Camp Emerson staff are trained to administer epi-pens by Health Staff.
9. Aimee will be in contact during the summer to let you know how the plans are working and to get your feedback. She will be seeing your child daily for their questions and input as well.
10. Everyone enjoys camp and eats safely and deliciously!
Check out our Food page for details about our menu.
Download - Your Child With Food Allergies Can Go To Camp, by Sue Lein, Camp Director, Camp Emerson
Download - Our Food Allergy Brochure for more details.
WE'RE IN THE PRESS:
ABC News Medical Report - 6 Things You Need to Know About Food Allergies;
Westchester Parent Magazine Article - Move Over Bug Juice!
Gluten-Free Living Magazine - A Taste of Indpendence