Meet Sue, the Camp Director! Request a Home Visit or Ask a Question.
Camp Emerson has welcomed children from all over the world for over 40 years. This is a friendly place that celebrates all children and aspires to bring out the best in each one.
We hope you will take the time to look at our entire website for a lot of information about our program and philosophy. We will be happy to provide you with references of other international families who have trusted us with their children.
Below are answers to the “Frequently Asked Questions” regarding our international campers.
How many of the campers are from outside the USA?
About 10% of our campers come from countries outside of the United States. We have had campers from all over the world including: South Korea, Greece, Spain, Venezuela, United Kingdom, Mexico, Turkey, Russia, Japan, China, Yugoslavia, Israel, Saudi Arabia, Canada and many more.
Where is Camp Emerson located?
Camp Emerson is located in the beautiful Berkshire Mountains of western Massachusetts. Pittsfield, Massachusetts is the closest city, about 10 minutes from camp. Camp Emerson is approximately 3 hours from New York City and Boston. It is easy to get to via major highways. The Berkshires are a cultural center during the summer months and offers professional theater, music, dance and art from New York and around the world.
What is the weather like?
We are 1600 feet above sea level. The days are warm, 70-85 degrees Fahrenheit and the nights are comfortable, 55-70 degrees Fahrenheit.
How do campers travel to Camp Emerson?
Our international campers fly into either Boston, Massachusetts (Logan Airport) the day before the session starts. This helps to ensure he/she doesn’t miss a minute of camp and has time to get over any jet lag. We will work with you to coordinate the pick up at the airport and transportation to camp. (A separate fee may be applied for special travel arrangements.)
What are the sessions?
We offer 2, 4 or 6 week sessions. See Dates and Fees Page for details for this summer.
What payment methods do you accept?
We accept credit card (MasterCard or Visa), check or wire (bank) transfer.
How does the program work?
- Every two weeks the campers design their own schedules (5 classes a day) and select from over 50 activities.
- They receive excellent instruction from qualified teachers at their level – beginner to advanced.
- Swimming instruction is a required class each day. See the activity pages for descriptions of the activities.
- In addition to the regular classes, we have trips to the local cultural events, wilderness trips (hiking and camping in the woods) and special all day events like carnivals and olympics.
- Even though the program is built on choice, it is structured. The children have a specific schedule and they are required to follow that schedule every day. Attendance is taken at each activity.
Please explain the age groups.
Campers are grouped in cabins with other girls or boys who are the same age. In the US, we look at their current school grade as well as age to make the right decision. Since grades around the world are different, we use the year the child is born and parent input to determine bunk placement.
English Language Immersion
We have found that camp provides the perfect atmosphere for improving and expanding conversational English while having fun at the same time. Your child will be living and interacting with American children of the same age. We have many years of successful experience with campers of varying degrees of English ability. We are happy to give additional support to any camper who needs a little extra help. There are no formal ESL classes at camp.
Is there a uniform? What clothing and bedding do I need?
- There are no uniforms at Camp Emerson.
- We will provide you with a list of clothing to bring.
- The only items that are required are 2 Camp Emerson t-shirts which must be ordered from BUNKLINE, our clothing supplier.
- Bedding is provided. Each international camper will receive 2 sets of sheets, 2 pillowcases, a pillow, 2 blankets, 3 towels and a laundry bag for use during camp. * Laundry service is included. Laundry is sent out once a week. It is returned 2 days later.
Do the children need spending money at camp?
No. The camp tuition covers all expenses. Some children from outside the US like to go shopping during their stay in America. Your child may have this opportunity during our regular visiting day (instead of visitors). Larger sums of money for shopping will be held in an individual envelope in the camp safe. Campers will have access to this money prior to a trip out of camp.
What are the medical requirements to enroll?
Each camper must have a signed Doctors’ report (physical exam) and appropriate vaccinations to be eligible to enroll at Camp Emerson. Full disclosure of all medical conditions and medications is required. A physician must complete the form in legible English and proof of all vaccinations must be provided.
Should I get medical and travel insurance?
Yes. We recommend medical and travel insurance to cover your child’s travel to/from camp and the time at camp. We can provide you with suggestions when you enroll. Also, we require a credit card to cover any prescriptions, dental or other incidental expenses not covered by insurance.
How can I get an application to enroll?
Click here and enroll today
Can I call my child? What about email?
- Communication is very important to our families. We want to make it easy for you.
- We have regular calling days for our families, however, we find that our families from outside the USA find it easiest to tell us by email what day they will be calling and the time they will call. This allows us to get your child to the phone ready for your call. For many families our breakfast time (8 am – New York time) is a good time to call.
- Parents can email their child as often as they like.
- Your child will write to you twice each week and we will scan and email it to you.
- Camp Emerson is on eastern standard time, the same as New York City.
- The office is open from 8am to 8pm daily. Emergency calls are received 24 hours a day on the Directors’ Cell.
How to contact the Directors
E-mail is the best way to reach us at Camp Emerson. We check it throughout the day and will respond very quickly. Our e-mail address is: email@example.com.
Before June 1:
After June 1: